A recipe off Jade’s first cookbook, Luscious Vegetarian, co-authored with her aunt Sonia Cabano, which won a Gourmand award for best local vegetarian cookbook.
WILD MUSHROOM LASAGNE
Use any mushrooms you can find, including rehydrated dried ones. Just remember to strain the soaking water to go into to the sauce, and rinse rehydrated mushrooms ell under running water to remove any grit. A comforting yet luxurious main course.
For the sauce:
- 3 cups (750ml) warm milk
- 2T (30ml) butter
- 2T (30ml) cake flour
- ¼ t (1ml) grated nutmeg
- 3T (45ml) butter
- 1T (15ml) olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2t (10ml) crushed garlic
- 1 kg mixed mushrooms, wiped clean and thickly sliced
- 1T (15ml) chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable or mushroom stock (recipe in Basics)
- 1 T (15ml) tomato concentrate
- Salt and pepper
- 500g dried instant lasagne sheets
- 300g grated Fontina, Gruyere or Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (125ml) grated Parmesan
1. First make the sauce by heating the milk and butter together until the butter has melted, then sift over the flour and nutmeg, and whisk furiously until completely smooth.
2. Turn the heat down and let the sauce simmer with barely a bubble until nicely thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent scorching.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Cook the bay leaves, onion and garlic in the butter and olive oil until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms, including any drained soaked ones, and herbs, turn the heat up and cook while stirring until all moisture has evaporated.
5. Add the vegetable stock and tomato concentrate and turn heat to simmer. Let cook until sauce is thickened and season well. Remove the bay leaves.
6. Lightly oil the base of an ovenproof dish and line with instant lasagne sheets. Spread over a quarter of the white sauce, then follow with a third of the mushroom mixture and then a third of the grated Fontina or Gruyere (not Parmesan). Repeat with lasagne, sauce, mushrooms and cheese until you finally end with a layer of lasagne.
7. Cover with the remaining white sauce, sprinkle over Parmesan and bake in middle of oven for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown the sauce is bubbling. It might be wise to place a baking sheet underneath the lasagne dish to catch any drips.
Keep warm until ready to serve.